Traffic enforcement on Police Motorcycles has been a tradition in the El Segundo Police Department since the 1920's. One of the first El Segundo Police vehicles was a Harley Davidson motorcycle, ridden by then Captain James Cummings, the grandfather of former El Segundo Police Chief, David Cummings. Motorcycle technology has advanced since the early days and today El Segundo Motorcycle Officers ride the BMW R 1250 RT-P, one of the most technologically advanced motorcycles in the industry.
All El Segundo Motorcycle Officers must complete intensive training and certification. The training is so rigorous, the attrition rate for perspective motorcycle officers who enter motor-school is well over 50%. In school during the testing phase, only perfection will earn a passing grade. Officers must maneuver a fully equipped Police motorcycle weighing in excess of 700 lbs. through a variety of coned patterns multiple times without so much as glancing a delineator or touching the hand or foot brake. They are also tested on high-speed braking and maneuvering, which must also be completed multiple times without error.
After graduating motor school, Motorcycle Officers are responsible for traffic enforcement, collision investigation and accident reconstruction. All schools related to accident investigation and reconstruction are extremely difficult to complete and require strong math skills to include calculus.
The El Segundo Police Department currently has four riding officers and one part-time riding officer. All have a wide-range of individual police experience and they include:
- Lt. Raymond Garcia is a 27- year veteran, who has worked a variety of assignments including Patrol, Field Training, K-9, SWAT, Honor Guard, Investigations, Professional Standards (Internal Affairs) and Administration. Prior to joining the El Segundo Police Department, Lieutenant Garcia worked as a Corrections Deputy for the San Diego Sheriff's Department and is a veteran of the United States Marine Corps.
- Sergeant Tony de la Rambelje is a 27-year veteran, who has worked Patrol, Field Training, Motor Officer, SWAT, Crisis Negotiations, Background Investigator and Range Supervisor. Prior to joining the El Segundo Police Department, Sergeant de la Rambelje worked 2 years as a Marshal for Los Angeles County.
- Sergeant Glenn Delmendo is a 17-year veteran, who has worked Patrol, Field Training, Motor Officer, SWAT, Investigations, Range Staff, Honor Guard and is currently assigned as the Special Projects Sergeant. Sergeant Delmendo assists Special Operations as a part-time riding Sergeant. Prior to joining the El Segundo Police Department, Sergeant Delmendo worked as a Police Officer for the West Covina Police Department for 6 years and has served for nearly 30 years in the United States Coast Guard Reserves.
- Officer Armando Rodriguez is a 15- year veteran, who has worked Patrol, Field Training, Investigations, SWAT, Regional Gang Task Force, Active Shooter Instructor and is currently the Accident Investigator and Reconstruction Specialist for the Department. Prior to joining the El Segundo Police Department, Officer Rodriguez worked as a Police Officer for the Los Angeles Airport Police Department for 8 years and is a veteran of the United States Air Force.
- Officer Steve Paulsen is a 13- year veteran who has worked Patrol, Field Training, School Resource Officer and currently coordinates regional traffic assets with neighboring Police agencies. Prior to joining the El Segundo Police Department, Officer Paulsen worked as a Police Officer for the Los Angeles Police Department for 6 years.